Sunday, August 30, 2009

Literary Latte Reviews



A Mercy by Toni Morrison. November 2008. Knopf

Reviewed by : Linnea Patrick



This is the story of a young slave girl given to a northern colonial merchant in payment of debt. She is never able to understand why her mother would let her go and keep her baby brother. This is a theme that continues from the Pulitzer prize winning book Beloved written in 1987. The voice of Florens is lyrical and full of passion. "I dream a dream that dreams back at me," she says. "Perhaps these words need the air that is out in the world. Need to fly up then fall, fall like ash over acres of primrose and mallow. . . . I am become wilderness but I am also Florens. In full. Unforgiven. Unforgiving. No ruth, my love. None. Hear me? Slave. Free. I last."

No comments: